Tuesday, April 5, 2011

BC Championships - Whistler

One of the good things (not on the pocketbook however) about Samuel competing in freestyle skiing is that we always end up a few weekends away during the season.  BC Championships this year were in Whistler.  I love Whistler and I'm sure if I didn't live in the Okanagan, Whistler would be my second choice.  Of course that would only be if we won a lottery or something, and since I never by tickets, I suppose Whistler's out.  Samuel finished the weekend top five in the province in both slopestyle and moguls.  Way to go Sam!

Samuel and a team mate checking out the competitive order with their coach.

small 28

In the line up.

small 31

Last minute encouragement from his coach...

small 32

And the flag is down!

small 33

I'm always so proud of him on the mogul course.  I do alright at moguls, but not on the mogul course - that's a whole different game!  And by alright I mean I can get down a black run that has moguls - so can Teigan.  I am in no way comparing my skiing abilities to those of my children, who insanely fly down double black runs with moguls the size of Teigan, routinely jump cliffs - yes, cliffs - I've watched them (with trepidation), and wait patiently (or not) for me at the bottom of said runs (if they have no one of their own caliber to ski with).  I can still compare my self to Teigan.  I'm still better than Teigan - this year at least!

Teigan watched patiently (most of the time) while we waiting for Samuel to ski.  Then she was happy to rip off and ski herself!

small 29

small 30

small 34

You get two runs in moguls.  This was the second run - it went from beautiful sunshine to lots of snow - and back again.  I missed the actual trick in this pic, but he's just coming down from a mule kick cross.  (I'm sure that means so much to you!)

small 36

small 37

Samuel and his entire team.

small 39

We walked everywhere and the weather was great both on and off the slopes.
You may notice that Liam isn't in pretty much any of the pictures!  He was off ripping up the hill either with his friends (little brothers of other competitors), or with our good friend who came up with us.  He did however get a minor concussion on Saturday (good thing the dad he was skiing with was a doctor), so we were all together in the village on Sunday.  No skiing for Liam!  I do have pics of Liam on my iphone - however I'll have to have Samuel figure out how I get them off of there and on to here. 

small 26

The last night we went to Fire and Ice - freestyle skiers having fun showing off their stuff for the crowds.  Follow it up with fireworks and you've got yourself a nice little show!

small1 1

small1 2

Our Whistler friends.

small1 3

1 comment:

Heath said...

Hi Karyn
I rediscovered your blog, and it is so good, with such great pictures! Looks like a great time with the family, such amazing memories your children will have.
It was good to see Ken too. I haven't seen him for at least 40 years!
Keep up the great writing!!