Monday, April 11, 2011

Cookie Maps of ANCIENT EGYPT!

We have been having such a fantastic time studying Ancient Egypt.  We have learned so much and are really enjoying this study.  It's the first time I've really studied Bible at the same time as History as well.  I've always learned them separately (unfortunately) until now, and it has been fascinating for all of us.

The green around the Nile River is to show that area which was fertile because of the Nile flooding every year. 

Egypt 2

Egypt 4

It looks like the Mediterranean and Red Sea over flowed their banks too!

Egypt 5

Egypt 7

I don't know how much the little ones got out of the project, but they certainly had fun... and they enjoyed eating the cities and the Nile! 

Egypt 6

Egypt 3

Egypt 8

Egypt 9

Egypt 10

By the time the kids put the labels on their cookie maps, they didn't even need to look at the atlas or the other maps, they were able to put all of the cities where they belonged.  I love hands on projects, they get so much out of them.  One of the other things I like about this is that, unlike salt dough maps, (which we made of Canada) no one wants to save these for posterity!  Make and learn, take pictures and eat!  YEAH!  And as they eat them the comments are things like, "Wow!  The Mediterranean Sea is delicious!" or "I just ate Thebes!"  Or even Dad and Mom asking, "Can I try a bite of the Red Sea?"  They won't soon forget the landscape of Ancient Egypt.  I've been told to point out that the reason Lower Egypt is North, and Upper Egypt is South is because the Nile River flows down to the Mediterranean Sea.  The finished maps. 

Egypt 15

Egypt 14

Egypt 13

Unfortunately they've just found out that Ariana is allergic to wheat so she didn't get the yummy brown sugar cookie that everyone else did, but her map turned out quite neat showing all the bare, dry land.

Egypt1

Egypt 12

Wait until you see what we're doing next week!  It involves a dead chicken... any guesses?!

7 comments:

Judy said...

LOVE what you do with home schooling---you're the best Mom! Am passing your blog onto a friend who will eventually be home schooling. You need to post your blog on FB a bit more often so I remember to check it out!

Alison said...

These are the nicest cookie dough maps I have seen. Do you mind telling me what you made the colored icing with? Thanks

Julie @ Creekside Learning said...

Love this! What a great idea to make history fun. We are done with ancient Egypt for now but I am thinking maybe a cookie Rome project....

Erin I said...

I'm in LOVE with this idea, it's great by itself, but the fact that no one will/can keep it! My husband wants to keep every little paper they scribble on and there are four of them. In one week, it's quite an impressive pile to behold. The idea of storing these types of projects has always held me up from doing them. So, my children will thank you! Bring on the projects or at least ones I can make edible!

Sharnee Torrents said...

Hello there fellow homeschooling mum! WOW this project is totally AWESOME!!! I loved it and was super eager to do it with my treasures!! They LOVED it too, soooo fun!! Thanks HEAPS for the idea, if you'd like to see it you can go here...
http://torrentsfamily.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/the-river-nile-cooking-craft-egyptian.html
Thanks again!
Smiles Sharnee :)

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your post on this. Looks like the type of fun we'll be duplicating for the next two weeks. =) Best wishes!

lynzil said...

Love the idea I am a school teacher and am trying to decide how many to make for my class, obviously they will have to work in groups but they will have to discuss and negotiate so I think this will be an educationally sound idea in my setting. I am going to do it after a few weeks when interest is being to lag as I am reinforcing maps by making huge chalk drawing on the tennis court. I have so many ideas from the internet especially from home schooling sites that I have to decide what not to do rather than what to do!!! I teach Social Sciences (History and Geography) to Grades 4 to 10 at a private school in South Africa. I am deeply blessed to have small classes 10-24 of beautiful and inquisitive learners of all races and religions. The best part of being a South African teacher. Because my learners waht to know so much and to do rather than be taught. I use the internet to get ideas and wow the ideas are great like yours Thank You Lynette