Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A stellar mom moment

While the weather is great outside and Spring has finally decided to grace us with her presence, the water is not up to it's summer temperatures yet. The other day we were playing down by the beach, the kids exploring on the rocks, me taking pictures of course... when Liam takes a tumble into the water. Knowing that it's not too deep (just cold) I offer my supportive mom comments like, "you're okay Buddy, climb on out" and "Oh, I bet that's cold, but we'll get you dried off and warm"... as I snap a few pictures of the event and walk around off the dock and over to the little jetty that the kids are on. Liam walking towards me now, pulls his hand down from the back of his head and yes, it's covered in blood. Well, if you've had a look at Chris' blog you'll see that Ben ended up with stiches the very same day. I stripped his wet clothes off of him and carried him in his gitchies and shirt (looking like a real hockey player, his jersey covered in blood) into the clinic - pressure on the back of his head, lots of blood, and carrying a crying kid - if you ever want to get into a room and not sit in the waiting room at all, this is the way to do it! I said "into a room", not have a doctor see you (you'll note the difference!) By the time the doctor came in, I'd stopped the bleeding and Liam was fine listening to a book. However when the doctor said something along the lines of "I think it could use three or four stiches", Liam started shaking and looked horrified at the idea. I asked if it really needed it since I didn't care if he had a scar (on the back of his head) and the bleeding was now under control, and I didn't really want to tramatize the poor little guy any more than necessary. So the doctor agreed that would be fine and we walked out without stitches... to make it just on time to Jason and my baseball game, where Liam ran around with the other kids and you'd never have known that there was any excitement any earlier that afternoon.










6 comments:

Chris ;o) said...

Yeah!! Now I can actually keep up with all your goings on! I still can't believe that happened to Liam on the same day as Ben! Crazy! Your blog looks awesome!

Vicki said...

Wow, I can't believe that we found each other on here. And Chris, too! Your kids have grown up so much since last time we saw you guys. Glad we can keep in touch this way now:)

Poetsch Family said...

Glad to see that you are blogging as well. We will have to get together soon. Is your email still the same as before?

K said...

Hi Karyn! Nice to see you here! Aidan has wanted to play with Sam and Liam for so long, but now that we moved it will even harder to get together. I know Ed had called jason for you guys to come over quite a while ago, then things got busy again. We'd love to have you over. Our email is the same.

Love your photos. I would love to have a new camera soon.

Anita said...

Great pics. Poor little guy! It always amazes me how quickly they recover. Glad to see you in the blogging world. IT is a great procrastination tool...in fact I am using it as that right now. My marking bin is full and I am reading blogs!!

Heidi said...

Hope Liam has recovered. Wow, you have only been blogging for a couple of days and already you have 5 now 6 comments. Look forward to seeing more pictures (to steal ideas from!).